Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Skiing Day Two...still some tears but not too bad!

Day 2 of skiing begins with the boys headed to the bigger and harder trails and Shayna and I on the "green" runs. We started by doing a quick pass on the training run and I felt good so we headed straight for the lift to the green runs. We did one a couple runs through the easier (in my opinion) "green" run and then headed to my self "teal" run from yesterday. I felt confident enough that I could beat it this time, and I did, but I did fall off the lift when we were getting off and the attendent had to pick me up. Next we talked with the boys and decided to meet them at Peak 8 (we were on Peak 9) So in order to do that we had to take a lift to the top of Peak 8 and I was going to have to ski on some "blue" runs. I felt like I could do it, I would just take it slow. Once at the top we headed down and I did ok. We did hit some "moguls" which are little hills all over the run and I think I do better on those for whatever reason. Of course then Shayna and I took a wrong turn and got lost and had to take some other runs that we didn't want to take due to the difficulty but we finally got to the boys. We met them at a restaurant and we ate lunch. Bryan and I had packed brown bag lunches to save money and because I am still on Weight Watchers and want to control my points intake and it is hard to find healthy selections because most of the places are fast food types. Once we ate we decided to go to Peak 7. This would turn out for me, to be the biggest mistake of the day. So we start heading over and we are doing ok. This was supposed to take me to a "blue" run that isn't so bad, however we made a wrong turn and ended up on a different "blue" run called "pioneer" and it was all over. It was basically a HUGE vertical slope (in my opinion) and I was somehow supposed to get down this damn thing. So I start out and I wipe out twice and then I wipe out a third time and my ski comes off. Then I can't get it back on. Bryan tries to help but it doesn't work and I begin to get frustrated but I am not crying yet...just really mad. I tell Bryan he will be more help if he will just go and ski to the bottom of this steep hill and maybe I won't punch him in the face. So, I begin sideways sliding down the hill with one ski on the other in my hand and I would then try to find a spot to try to put the other ski on and it just wasn't happening. Now the tears begin. I am so mad and I am stuck on the side of this mountain and no one can help me and I don't know what to do. Eventually I just butt scoot down and get to where Bryan is and we still can't get the ski on.
So, the only option we have is for Bryan to call the ski patrol to come help. So they finally get there, after another person tried to stop and help us and couldn't either. However, he did make me feel good by saying "this is why thin people shoudn't ski" If you have never skiied the reason he was saying this was because you basically have to stomp on the ski with your heel once you get your toe in the toe portion of the ski and I was stomping and leaning completely on my heel, even using my hands and pushing on my thigh to try to get my foot to snap in the lock and it wouldn't go! So the ski patrol got there, Tyler was his name, and he got me all reset up and voila! I was back in my skis! We thanked him and he left. Then Bryan tried to get his skis on and he couldn't. So, we set his skis up where the ski patrol set mine up and he eventually got in his skis, too and we were back on our way. I took it slow and got back into the groove altough Iw as still upset and once at the bottom I stated I wanted to go home, I was done. So, Bryan's like well, you are going to have to ski home, you know that right. And I stated that was fine, just get me there. Well we only had an hour before the lifts closed so we were going to have to hurry. So we get in line for the lift and as I make my way down to the entry I fall over. At this point, Bryan finally realized, I really was done. So, he wanted to get me a shuttle bus to take home. I however, informed him no and we boarded the lift and headed home. I wish I could say I didn't fall anymore but we had to hit some "blue" runs and so of course I did. However, my skiing got much better and I got confidence back and towards the end we hit a really nice run on a trail called the "sawmill" and Bryan and I got to enjoy skiing together. Once home we bought Breckenridge stickers for our ski helmets and then headed home. My bruise count is at 7 and I have one scratch, and my whole body hurts. Shayna and I both took baths when we got home and Bryan and I are going to cook dinner tonight and then enjoy a low key evening at home relaxing. The boys are going to go skiing again tomorrow, whether or not Shayna and I join them, that is still up in the air. Massages and shopping may be on our agenda. Either way I ended the day happy with my effort and still wanting to ski, so I say that's a success!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't want to call and talk to me!! :( I've been thinking about you nonstop! Oh well. Just remember to enjoy yourself. You aren't going to be a pro so don't get frustrated. The best thing is you are trying, you might be falling down but getting back up and doing it again is the hard part! You can do it!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete