Monday, December 28, 2009

First time skiing, EVER!

Well we headed out in the morning once Bryan got back from his run and headed t0 the slopes. Obviously, we were bundled up and I felt like the kid from "The Christmas Story" saying "I can't put my arms down" I was so wrapped up! So we made our way to The Maggie which is where we rented a locker to put our shoes and strapped on our ski boots (which are not easy to get on, by the way). We headed up and Shayna found a little spot for me to try to learn. The problem was there was like 300 people standing at the bottom and I knew I would end up running in to them as I don't know how to stop. Well eventually a worker came up and showed us where we could go to learn on a small slope so Bryan and I headed over there. He gave us this information at the perfect time as the tears were starting to flow and the curse words were beginning to fly. He also told me that it may not be a good idea to have my significant other teaching me how to ski. So we did the small hill for awhile and I began to get comfortable so we headed to a little bigger training hill and did that the rest of the morning. I finally began to get the hang of it. Then we met up with Shayna and Aaron and decided it was time for me to try a run. So, we went to a "green" run which is considered an easy run. We took the lift up and I did fine getting on and off, which I was really worried about. Once at the top we started on our way down and I did ok. Then halfway down Bryan and I took another lift and headed up to another "green" run. Actually, once we got to the top I decided to invent my own colors and call this the "teal" run. I named it this because the next harder run after the "green" is "blue" so "teal" just seemed fitting for what was to come. This run had very steep slopes and I began to feel my heart rate pickup and the panic set in. I tried to take my time, but I took A LOT of spills. Once we got past the beginning part of this run things got better and I got my groove back....until we got to the end. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen but the last hill until you get to the end of the run is a steep (by my standards) hill. Well I ended up taken a couple falls and the last one was really bad and immediately I had a headache (don't worry I did have a helmet on) and my whole body hurt. So I informed Bryan, "I am f'ing done" By this time it was 2:00 and the lifts close at 4:30, so I felt for my first day I had skied enough. So, I marched home with tears in my eyes and all I wanted to do was talk to my dad (for some reason I thought he could make it better or tell me something that would help me ski) but he didn't answer. So, the next best thing was for me to just be by myself for a bit to soak it all in. About an hour later Shayna came back to the condo and I was much more settled down and we began making dinner plans for the night and the rest of the week. We had a great dinner at Breckenridge Brewery and even went in the hottub for a bit. It was another early night as we headed to bed at about 10pm. All in all I am ready to ski tomorrow but still a little nervous and hesitant. Shayna is going to ski with me in the morning and the boys are going to go on their own and ski the harder trails and we will meet up later. Hopefully what I learned today will sink into my body while I sleep and I will wake up ready to ski!

No comments:

Post a Comment