Sunday, July 12, 2009
All Star Charity 5K
Today I started my day off with the MLB All Star Charity 5K. We got up very early and made our way downtown. I was a little nervous, but more excited than anything. I really wanted to beat my time from the last 5K I ran. There were 8,000 people at the run/walk so things were a little crowded, but I have run in the Race for Cure for the past 3 years and that is a ton more people. Bryan and I got as close to the starting line as we could and stretched and waited for the horn. I brought my ipod along for the run to help me take my mind off the 3 miles journey I was about to put my body through. They sounded the horn and I began on my way....walking....because there were so many people. This allowed me time to get my music going. So, I started with a little T.I. and Justin Timberlake. According to the them "the old me was dead and gone." What a great song to start with. That's right Justin and T.I., the old me is dead and gone and I am going to run 3 miles today. Next Britney Spears came on and sang to me about a womanizer. There was a guy running in front of me so I just imgained he was the womanizer and I needed to pass him. I succeeded so thanks Britney! Also, thanks for getting me past the first 1/2 mile. Next, I paced my run to "Chicken Fried". The beat was perfect to slow me down to a calmer pace that would help me to finish the remaning 2.5 miles. The only thing was I got a little distracted because they were singing about fried chicken and cold beer. I wold love some fried chicken, from KFC, with a side of mashed potatoes and a biscuit, please. And oh yeah, a cold beer or 6 sound good, too. then a new distraction popped up. I saw a sign for tattoos. But this wasn't just any tattoo parlor. The signage on the windows said "Tattoos, $15, any kind, any time" Really! Seriously, $15 tattoos. Are they stick on? Crazy! If anyone is interested let me know and I will tell you where its at. This distraction got me past the first mile. Yeah! Next my ipod started to tell me that I "could have whatever you like" Really? Whatever I like? Well, I would really like to stop, but I can't. So, can I have a bike or a scooter, or someone else's legs that will make me go faster? Just as I was really getting angry with T-Pain and my ipod because they were not giving me whatever I wanted and I wanted to stop, the song was over and my favorite woman, Christina Aguilera came on and sang my anthem. "Some days I'm a super bi*tch up to my old tricks, but it won't last forever. Next day I'm a supergirl, out to save the world, and it keeps getting better." This picked me up and carried me into mile 3. Only 1.1 miles to go. I can do this! I am superwoman! Then my ipod told me I was a "Crazy B*itch" GREAT SONG!!! I picked up the pace, I am crazy after all and got through to the 2.5 mile point. only .6 to go, but I really wanted to stop. Maybe I am not as crazy as I thought. Then the final pick me up came on. "The Way I Are" Those of you that were at my wedding know that this was the surprise song that my wedding party did a dance to. I thought about all the hard work my wedding party put into learning the dance for Bryan and I. And oh, Bryan, he is waiting for me at the end. I am on track to beat my 5K time from the last race I was in, he is going to be so proud. I dug deep, REAL deep and strode to the finish line. I found Bryan and told him I just PR'd! 28 minutes! Yea! And once I got some water in me, I felt ok. I think I can do this. No, I know I can do this. 13 miles, here I come!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You definitely can do this...I am hoping that one day soon, we can run races together!! So proud of you!!
ReplyDelete